Micro Volunteering Day 2019
So, what is micro volunteering? This flexible model of volunteering constitutes of small acts of kindness which can take many different forms. Micro volunteering is a way to give back to your neighbours, local or global community, or environment. There is no ongoing commitment or training necessary and these roles can be virtual, remote or in person.
To celebrate Micro Volunteering Day 2019, we made and dispersed seed balls! These balls of clay and compost are coated in seeds and thrown or planted in green areas. Sometimes known as 'seed green-aides', this environmental activism emerged from the Guerrilla Gardening movement in New York, 'Seed Bombing' or 'Aerial Reforestation' aims to populate urban areas with flora, providing food for bees and other insects.
Some other micro volunteering ideas are:
- Offering to do the food shopping or pick up some essential items for a neighbour
- Two-minute litter pick
- Clearing up a local community green space
- Donating unwanted items to a charity shop
- Buying a homeless person a hot drink or sandwich
- Signing an online petition
- Research surveys and questionnaires like Zooniverse
Volunteering is valuable and every minute counts; it’s important that we value every selfless contribution whether that take place over seconds, minutes, days, weeks, months or years.